Connect with us

News and Politics

Dolce & Gabbana founders issue apology over racist comments about China

Published

on

Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce Getty Images

The founders of the Italian fashion label Dolce & Gabbana have issued an apology to the Chinese people after a growing backlash over Stefano Gabbana’s “racist outburst”.

In a video released on Friday, Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce spoke of their love and respect for Chinese culture.

“We have always been in love with China,” Dolce said in Italian in a video uploaded to Chinese social-media site Weibo. “We love your culture and we certainly have much to learn. That is why we are sorry if we made mistakes in the way we expressed ourselves.”

The fashion house has faced intense anger after an Instagram conversation in which Gabbana described China as a “country of s***” was leaked.

The brand had already faced widespread criticism for an advertising campaign which featured a Chinese model struggling to eat Italian dishes like pizza and cannoli with chopsticks and prompted accusations that it was stereotyping the Chinese.

The resulting backlash has forced the fashion chain to cancel a show in Shanghai and retailers in mainland China and Hong Kong have stopped selling its products.

View this post on Instagram

#DGlovesChina ? More like #DGdesperateforthatChineseRMB lol.  In a bid to further appeal to luxury's covetable Chinese consumers, @dolcegabbana released some hella offensive “instructional” videos on the usage of chopsticks.  Pandering at it's finest, but taken up a notch by painting their target demographic as a tired and false stereotype of a people lacking refinement/culture to understand how to eat foreign foods and an over-the-top embellishment of cliché ambient music, comical pronunciations of foreign names/words, and Chinese subtitles (English added by us), which begs the question—who is this video actually for?  It attempts to target China, but instead mocks them with a parodied vision of what modern China is not…a gag for amusement. Dolce & Gabbana have already removed the videos from their Chinese social media channels, but not Instagram.  Stefano Gabbana has been on a much-needed social media cleanse (up until November 2nd), so maybe he kept himself busy by meddling with the marketing department for this series. Who wants to bet the XL cannoli “size” innuendos were his idea? Lmao. • #dolceandgabbana #altamoda #rtw #dgmillennials #stefanogabbana #shanghai #chinese #italian #cannoli #meme #wtf #dumb #lame #chopsticks #foodie #tutorial #cuisine #italianfood #asianmodel #asian #chinesefood #dietprada

A post shared by Diet Prada ™ (@diet_prada) on

Protesters have also targeted the chain’s flagship store in the heart of Milan’s fashion district.

Video footage of a protest in Milan on Wednesday, which showed dozens of Chinese people holding “not me” sign outside the store on Via Monte Napoleone, has been widely circulated on social media.

The protesters included a Liu Xingyu, a male model who had appeared in one of the fashion house’s Milan shows.

The term “not me” has been adopted worldwide by people angered by Gabbana’s comment.

The company had previously apologized to “China and the Chinese people” and expressed regret that its Shanghai event had been canceled, while Gabbana claimed that his Instagram account had been hacked.

On Thursday Gabbana shared a post by another Instagram user that defended the brand and its founders.

“If Dolce & Gabbana was racist, they wouldn’t pay tribute a lot of times to China or Japan, or even having Chinese models on their shows runways or advertising … I’m a proud Albanian, I worked with them and never saw racism in them! I’m so sorry for people who always see only the half empty glass,” the post said.

The company said the cancellation of its show in Shanghai was “very unfortunate not only for us but also for all the people who worked day and night to bring this event to life”.

Chinese celebrities, including Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon star Zhang Ziyi and actor and singer Chen Kun, who had been signed up to attend the multimillion-dollar event have since joined the chorus of criticism.

The brand’s Chinese ambassadors including Karry Wang Junkai, a member of the popular boy band TFBoys, and actress Dilireba have also terminated their contracts.

 

Facebook Comments

News and Politics

Still think racism is a myth? Watch two Trump supporters deface ‘Black Lives Matter’ street mural

Published

on

Authorities are reportedly in search for a man and woman who defaced the “Black Lives Matter” mural painted on a downtown Martinez street on Sunday (June 5).

A YouTube video was captured of the vandalism incident along with a photo and description of their truck.

According to a release from police chief Chief Manjit Sappal office, community members had obtained a permit from the city to paint “Black Lives Matter” on Court Street in downtown on July 4.

“The community spent a considerable amount of time painting this mural only to have the suspects destroy it by dumping and rolling paint over part of the message,” the release said.

Upon the completion of the mural, community organizers left the area. It was then that an unidentified white male and white female arrived.

While the male made “All Lives Matter” comments to a group of frustrated onlookers the woman began covering the mural’s yellow letters with black paint while yelling, “this is not happening in my town.” The couple came with the intent to vandalize the mural with several cans of paint and a roller.

The case is currently under investigation and if any members of the public can identify the male and female involved in this incident please call the Dispatch Center at 925-372-3440 with the information

“The city of Martinez values tolerance and the damage to the mural was divisive and hurtful. Please help us identify those that are responsible for this crime, so they can be held accountable for their actions,” the release said.

“What happened yesterday to deface that mural was hostility in an ugly form,” city councilwoman Noralea Gipner said Sunday morning on social media. “Permission was given to put that there but permission was not given to deface it.”

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

News and Politics

Will Essence Communications regain its “essence?” Richelieu Dennis steps down as CEO

Published

on

(Richelieu Dennis) Bennett Raglin/Getty Images For SheaMoisture

Richelieu Dennis has reportedly stepped down as CEO of Essence Communications following claims from former and current female staffers that the Sundial Brands co-founder, 49, is the primary culprit behind the publishing company’s toxic work culture. 

The courageous women boldly penned a benumbing essay under the byline Black Female Anonymous via Medium.com on Sunday (June 28) detailing a chilling account of Dennis’ ongoing abuse of power, including sexual harassment, intimidation, colorism, and classism.

The authors intently demanded the resignation of Essence‘s board members whom they also accuse of contributing to the unbearable working conditions. 

Essence: “We demand the immediate resignation of Chief Executive Officer Richelieu Dennis, Essence Ventures board member and former Essence Communications CEO Michelle Ebanks, Chief Operating Officer Joy Collins Profet, and Chief Content Officer Moana Luu.”

The essay described the atmosphere under CEOs Dennis and Ebanks as a “surface-level commitment to Black women” and that Dennis is “driven by greed and a debaucherous sexual appetite”. 

The now-former CEO allegedly has “a history of sleeping with women on the Sundial staff, (the parent company of Shea Moisture he sold to Unilever in 2017) and for the women who don’t seemingly consent, he openly sexually harasses them at private company events.” Staffers expressed their fears of filing complaints on his inexcusable behavior due to his spouse (Martha Dennis) leading the company’s human resources department which they have called a “conflict of interest.”

On Monday (June 29), Essence Communications promptly released a statement denying all accusations.

However, on Tuesday (June 30), Essence Communications released a follow-up response stating Dennis will be stepping down as CEO.

“Out of an abundance of caution and an unwavering commitment to transparency, ESSENCE is in the process of hiring law firms and other independent external experts to assess and review the company’s policies and practices and conduct comprehensive employee interviews,” the statement reads.

Dennis, who founded Shea Moisture products, purchased Essence magazine from TIME magazine in 2018.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

News and Politics

New Stimulus Package proposed by House Dems would pay Americans $2,000 a month

Published

on

 Photo illustration via iStock

Succeeding President Donald Trump green-lighting the historic $2 trillion stimulus package, House Democrats are now proposing a new bill to keep the financial ball rolling for American families plagued with hardship amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

On Tuesday (April 14), the Emergency Money for the People Act was introduced, aiming to provide Americans 16 and older a $2,000 stimulus check each month for the next six months. It was introduced by Rep. Tim Ryan and Rep. Ro Khanna and has 17 other Democratic co-sponsors, per  Business Insider, including Rep. Barbara Lee.

“The economic impact of this virus is unprecedented for our country. As millions of Americans file for unemployment week over week, we have to work quickly to patch the dam – and that means putting cash in the hands of hard-working families,” Ryan said in a press release. “Many Ohioans are just receiving – or about to receive – the first cash payment we passed in the CARES Act. Now it’s time for Congress to get to work on the next step to provide relief for those who have been hardest hit in this pandemic.”

Currently, the CARES Act provides one-time cash payouts to qualifying Americans. That includes singles with an adjusted gross income up to $99,000 and couples up to $198,000 with payments being reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$150,000 thresholds with restrictions on dependents over the age of 16. Under the Emergency Money for the People Act, all Americans over the age of 16 who make less than $130,000 and married couples making less than $260,000 would receive a stimulus check. It also extends payouts to those who were excluded from the CARES Act, such as college students and adults with disabilities who are still claimed as a dependent.

Singles earning less than $130,000 would receive at least $2,000 per month, with married couples receiving at least $4,000 per month. Qualifying families would receive $500 per child for up to three children. Deliverable via direct deposit, check, or mobile apps such as Venmo, the payments would be guaranteed for at least six months or continue longer until the employment to population ratio for people ages 16 and older is above 60 percent.

“A one-time, twelve hundred dollar check isn’t going to cut it,” Khanna said of the current stimulus plan. “Americans need sustained cash infusions for the duration of this crisis in order to come out on the other side alive, healthy, and ready to get back to work. Members on both sides of the aisle are finally coming together around the idea of sending money out to people. Rep. Ryan and I are urging leadership to include this bill in the fourth COVID relief package to truly support the American working class.”

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

Trending