Connect with us

News and Politics

Puerto Rico Fires 2 more Officials over Supplies found in Warehouse

Published

on

Photo by Ricardo Arduengo/ Getty Images

“There have been actions by government officials that have been completely unacceptable,” Vázquez said Sunday. She had ordered an investigation into the warehouse of supplies and nominated Puerto Rican National Guard chief Major General José J. Reyes to replace Acevedo.

Vázquez met earlier Sunday with members of her administration and they were unable to provide information she had requested about other collection and distribution centers, according to The Associated Press. She didn’t elaborate on firing Gil and Andújar, but said she had lost confidence in them.

“There are thousands of people who have made sacrifices to help those in the south, and it is unforgivable that resources were kept in the warehouse,” Vázquez said in a statement Sunday.

On Sunday, Ponce Mayor María Meléndez expressed her dismay at the situation.

“I spent several days requesting cots and water,” Meléndez said. “They sent me to Cabo Rojo for the cots and to San Juan for the water. If I had known that those supplies were there, I would have demanded that they be taken out immediately.”

When Vázquez was asked about not knowing the supplies were at the warehouse, she replied, “That’s what the head of agencies are for … to inform the governor.”

Acevedo said on Saturday that it was “insane” to imply the aid was mishandled. 

Acevedo said in a statement that after the earthquake, the warehouse had been inspected by a structural engineer who “recommended emptying it due to the damage suffered after the event.” According to Acevedo, the Fire Department Bureau removed and distributed aid from the warehouse to those affected by the earthquakes. 

“There are still pallets of food, water, diapers, and baby formula, cots and awnings in the warehouse. At no time has it been ordered to seize or destroy those items,” reads his statement.

Puerto Rico emergency supplies in Ponce warehouse
Photo by Ricardo Arduengo/ Getty Images

“It is of utmost importance to emphasize that no citizen has been denied any of the items stored at the warehouse,” he said. “At the moment there is no shortage of any of these articles and they are being distributed to the people who need it, this may be corroborated in the shelters and base camps.”

“The citizen who entered the property today, and shared the images on social networks, violated the security perimeter, which in turn, represented a risk for him. For this reason he was instructed to leave the area. Any personnel entering that structure, which is compromised, requires specific security measures to ensure their safety.”Trump signs declaration of disaster for Puerto Rico 9 days after request

A 4.7 magnitude earthquake hit Puerto Rico on December 28, kicking off a series of seismic events on the island. More than 2,000 tremors have occurred since the original quake, leaving the island’s three million people in fear, and wanting for aid. 

Puerto Ricans were waiting to see if President Trump would sign a major disaster declaration to authorize the much needed aid. Nine days after Vázquez submitted the request, the president signed the declaration. One day prior, the Trump administration released $8.2 billion in heavily restricted aid to the island.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/puerto-rico-supplies-warehouse-governor-wanda-vazquez-fires-2-more-officials-over-viral-video-showing-aid-2020-01-19/

Facebook Comments

News and Politics

U.S. Passengers released from Quarantined Cruise Ship in Japan

Published

on

AP

The United States has reportedly evacuated its citizens from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan on Monday morning after they had been quarantined for more than a week in the Japanese port city of Yokohama. 

Other nations are preparing to follow suit as global concerns heighten over the spread of the deadly disease with a death toll of 1,700 at its Chinese epicenter.

Fourteen people who tested positive for the coronavirus were among the more than 300 American citizens and family members evacuated by plane from the quarantined ship, the US State Department revealed Monday.

More than 70,500 have been infected across China by the COVID-19 virus as the world battles to contain the outbreak that has sparked panic buying and jitters over the global economic impact.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

News and Politics

Twitter holds online Block Party for Nancy Pelosi after shredding Trump’s speech

Published

on

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made it more than clear what she thinks of President Trump as she literally tore up the commander in chief’s State of the Union address on national TV at the conclusion of his remarks Tuesday night.

When asked afterward why she shredded her copy of the speech, Pelosi responded, “Because it was the courteous thing to do, considering the alternatives.”

“What we saw today was the manifestation of hatred,” said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. “That hatred consumes any other sentiment they may have.”

Analysts on the Fox News Channel weighed in on Pelosi’s ripping up the speech in the aftermath of the event.

Sean Hannity called it “one of the most classless things ever to be done in the history of the State of the Union. … I want to buy that [torn-up speech]. If anyone has it, I’ll pay for it.”

“She plain doesn’t like him,” Chris Wallace said.

“Is she genuinely perpetually frustrated?” asked Brit Hume.

Dana Perino noted, “There were names of American citizens who have died in there.”

Sara Carter explained: “What the Democrats did was stunning and disgraceful, and they’re going to pay for it in 2020.”

At the commencement of the evening, Pelosi offered to shake Trump’s hand as he gave her the speech, but the president did not return his hand. It was unclear if he did not see her offer of a handshake.

Regardless of the backlash Pelosi’s received from the right-wing clan, we can’t ignore the online celebration Twitter’s holding in her honor, and she’s been a trending topic ever since.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

Breaking

UPDATED: Kobe Bryant dead at 41; daughter Gianna Maria also killed

Published

on

Getty Images

According to TMZ, Kobe Bryant has reportedly died from a fatal helicopter crash in Calabasas Sunday morning.

Kobe, 41, was traveling with at least 3 other passengers in his private helicopter before the plane crashed, sparking a fire.

The outlet confirmed with emergency personnel that their are no survivors left behind. Five people are confirmed dead, not including his wife Vanessa Bryant.

5-time NBA champion is survived by his wife Vanessa, and their four daughters — Gianna, Natalia and Bianca and their newborn Capri.

Per TMZ:

Kobe’s daughter Gianna Maria Onore — aka GiGi — was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash … reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.

We’re told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.

Stay tuned for updates. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

Trending